During Peshwa's period
In the recent past, the Moguls were fascinated by the beauty of the city and renamed it as "Gulshanabad" meaning the city of gardens. Beautiful fresh flowers were sent to Aurangazeb from Gulshanabad i.e. Nashik. But it was during the rule of the Peshwas, when the place was finally renamed as Nashik. During the Peshwas period, Raghobadada and his wife Anandibai settled down at 'Anandwalli' in Nashik. There re some remains of Anandibai's fort. There is also a temple called 'Navasha Ganapati' built by Anandibai. It was during the British rule in April 1818, when Nashik once again regained its importance. The British fell in love with the beauty of the city and developed it in various fields. The Golf course, developed by the British, was one of the largest in Asia. Nashik is surrounded by nine hills, namely: Durga, Ganesh, Chitraghanta, Pandav, DingerAli, Mhasarul, Jogwada, Pathanpura and Konkani. This beautiful city with hills surrounding it has lakes, adding to its beauty.
Rise & Growth Of National Movement
In 1869 the region came to enjoy unbroken peace. In 1869 Nashik was made a full-fledged district with its present talukas. With the return of peace Nashik flourished into prosperity. Reasons, political, religious, as well as commercial led to its rapid development. With the construction of the railway, going from Bombay to north-east, from very near the city, religious minded devotees came to be attracted to The town in ever increasing numbers where they made their purchases of various artistic & useful articles. This made Nashik a great trade centre where artisans skilled in manufacturing utensils & smiths excelling in workmanship in silver & gold crowded to ply their trade. Already Nashik was a highly flourishing town even under later Maratha rule & some time during that period the sow car families like barves, Vaishampayans & Gadres of the locality started their financial activity. Under Maratha rule they advanced sums to finance military campaigns of feudal Sardars & in their later times their Pedhi’s gradually began to finance the flourishing trade in metalware & fabrics as well as grapes & onions. By the middle of 19th century the British Rule was firmly established & the public life of Nashik began to pulsating with activities suited to the times. In 1840 was established a ‘ Native Library Nashik’ . In 1861 an Anglo-vernacular school was started & 1864, The town came to have a municipality of its own.
During these days there lived in Nashik a saintly person, known as Dev Mamaledar. His name was Yeshvant Mahadev Bhosekar. He began his career as an humble clerk in the revenue department & gradually rose to the position of Mamaledar. He always had a feeling for the poor & the suffering. During the period of his service as a Mamlatdar in Baglan Taluka which has its head quarter at Satana , A severe famine affected the area & Bhosekar generously helped the people to alleviate their sufferings. He always led a virtuous life & spent his spare moments in devout religious practices. In course of time he became so famous that princes & people began to respect him as a saint & called him Yeshvantrav Maharaj. Upon his death in 1887 people raised a small beautiful temple for his Samadhi on the bank of the river where his last funeral rites were performed. The paved floor around came to be known as Yeshvant Patangana which has now become a great centre of public assemblage & activity.